About The Student Film Project “Down By The River”
The short film “Down by the River” is a student film project to be filmed in Austin, Texas. The story revolves around a young boy named Robby who is not only struggling with some of the major aspects and decisions of life, but also with his own conflicting state of mind. His future is at stake and there is none he could confide in except for himself, at least for the beginning phase of it all. His spirituality is questioned by himself and he finds no solace anywhere which further disrupts the young mind and fills it with ambiguities and confusions which are difficult to clear.
After the death of his father, Robby’s mother married again and this time it wasn’t the fatherly figure that he had. His stepfather would not only beat and disgrace him by abusing him, but would also push him for baptism. His mother, who had married him to secure a rich future for herself and her son would not be able to aid her beloved son.
About The Roles
Following are the roles and their requirements for the student film project “Down by the River”:
For the role of Robby
- For the role of Robby, a 17 year old actor is required
- The role has to be played in depth empathizing the story of Robby
Robby, a teenager, is stuck between the rights and the wrongs and confused about his path of life. He had been feeling a sense of emptiness in his life and loss of purpose after the death of his father and he feels as if he is completely numb; devoid of any feelings.
Not only his being is torn between the confusing state of mind and his life, but also he would be spiritually challenged by his stepfather who is forcing him to get baptized as a Baptist, whereas he has been born and raised as a catholic. Not only would this make him question many realities of his life but also would have an impact on his overall being and the person he is to be. He won’t know what to believe and what not to believe, and perhaps, compromising would be the only option.
For the role of Ranae
- For the role of Ranae, a female actress is required
- The age of the actress has to be between 35-40
- She would be the mother of Robby
This is the role of a kind hearted and gentle woman who had gone through a lot in her life. She first met and fell in love with her first husband Christopher when she was a young teenager of 16 years of age. Married when she was 18 years old, she had Robby soon after and found a loving husband in Christopher who was a firefighter and never thought twice when it was about providing for and taking care of his wife and their son.
For the role of Michael
- For the role of Michael, a male actor is required
- The age of the applicant must be between 38-45 years
- He would be the stepfather of Robby, the one who forces himself and his ideologies on whoever he wishes to
He is a Gas Site Supervisor by profession, he can think of himself no less than some prince who deserves all on which he sets his eyes. Born and raised in North Carolina, he was a man of his own principles and thought his right to impose them on whoever he wishes to. He sees Ranae at a restaurant where she worked and instantly knew he wanted to have her, come what may. And he did pursue her and married her, bringing in the equation her son Robby whom he did not like. He forced Ranae and Robby to convert to Baptism knowing how difficult a choice it was for them. All he cares for is his swelling pride and ego, for him nothing matters more than that. He knows he could control Robby by forcing him for baptism.
For the role of Pastor Timothy
- For the role of pastor Timothy, a male actor is required
- The age of the applicant must be between 40 – 50 years
Pastor Timothy is the pastor of a small church with a congregation of about 200 people. A bit on the passive side, but the man is soft spoken and generous. He had always been contented with his relation with God and found most of his answers that way. He also had known Michael for quite some time and knows how headstrong a man he is. However, he also senses the reluctance in Robby for the baptism and would want to know the reason and also help him.
Despite his sympathy for Robby, Timothy won’t be able to voice his opinions or provide him with the solutions he seeks. He truly believes that God has a plan for Robby, no matter what it might appear to be currently.
- The actors/ actresses won’t be paid for the project but would be given due credits
- The applicants are to submit their name, contact information, age, and other details via email
- The email address for submissions is: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apply latest by June 01st 2016.
- The city/location of call would be Austin, Texas, so ensure your availability when the filming would begin (July 10th 2016).